Friday, August 8, 2008

Bryce Canyon review

Leaving the town of Panguitch I am now heading towards Bryce Canyon. This is a short review of experiences I encountered in Bryce Canyon. The review is also a short guide for you, so that you can decide whether you should visit Bryce Canyon or not.

A Bryce Canyon picture (Click to enlarge):




For more information about geographic aspects and history of the park, please click this link.

Stay in your car during lightning storms, watch dangerous cliffs, no pets or bicycles on trails, that's how you are welcomed in Bryce Canyon. The nature here is more than extreme and I can only recommend you to follow that advice. Several people die here every year because they do not watch out. Make sure to wear appropriate shoes because inappropriate shoes lead to injuries and even fatalities.

I am currently sitting on a fence at Yovimpa Point. You can access it by taking a short trail from Rainbow Point. Rainbow point is at the far end of Bryce Canyon, around 20 miles by car from the entrance. It is on around 9000 feet and currently relatively warm here at Yovimpa. It is known as one of the spots with best view. You can see mountains in more than 60 miles distance. Compared to LA, where you can only see 5 miles, that's quite a lot. I really recommend you to check out Yovimpa, as it is very beautiful here with all the sharp red cliffs. The trail leading here is only 500 feet, so that is not a big deal and can be done by couch potatoes as well. I took the Bristlecone loop trail which is around another mile from Yovimpa point. Although I am quite sporty I breathed heavily when I returned to my car.

I am driving to the Black Birch Canyon now which has an elevation of 8750 meters. The silence is impressive and you feel very well with the good air. Nonetheless a few steps are already hard because of the thin air. The view is amazing. You should definitely check out the Black Birch Canyon.

My next stop is the so called Agua Canyon. There is a raven sitting on the fence in front of me. They are very common in Bryce Canyon. Because they are adaptive they learn very fast and can do whatever is best for them. I will be attaching a picture of the raven. The Agua Canyon is very beautiful with the red, sharp cliffs and the wide view over Bryce and mountains 60 miles away. There are two persons trying to feed them. That is not allowed and punished with an high fee. Fed animals have little chance to survive in nature. So don't feed them.

Next view point is the Natural Bridge. It is a bridge formed by erosion and is worth to see. It was formed in thousands of years. You can park right next to it with your car. Then take some breathtaking pictures which you will never forget :-).

I continued to Sunset point and wanted to take the Navajo trail to check out Osiris and Thor's temple which are both described as impressive and beautiful. The guide describes them as the most beautiful peaks here in Bryce Canyon.
However I am now in a thunder storm and decided to follow the advice to stay in my car. Consequently I can unfortunately not review them but you should check them out.

All in all I must say that Bryce Canyon was very impressive and beautiful. I liked it a lot that you can take your car with you, so that you are free. I must say that I found Zion a little more impressive. Nonetheless, Bryce is completely different and I rate it with 10/10 points. What I like lot here is the visitor friendliness and the very good visitor center. Check out my next writing, a Capitol Reef review which I will write in the park again. I will also write a short review of my Capitol Reef hotel. So thanks a lot for reading my bryce canyon blog. Hope you enjoyed this review.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home